Monday, April 23, 2007

Chapter 8

Chapter 8


A piercing sting in my palm sent shivers up my spine. Another fastball had speedily arrived on time and on target. Religiously, We had been tossing this hide-surrounded orb back and forth for over a month. Up until now, it looked certain that Tanners dream of actually pitching tittered perilously close to extinction. With each wayward throw I Painfully watched his confidence drain. He became very exasperated and littered the air with verbal venting. Leaning over the makeshift home plate i pretended to flick at a light coating of reddish dirt. I hoped to stall Tanner and force him to recoil his vexing gyrations. Earnestly I prayed growing pessimism would not blur his tenuous goals. I had hoped something would happen, something to inspire his failing will, something to make him reach further, dig deeper and try harder. Without a miracle, It seemed fragile hope would die a slow agonizing death and decaying it would rot like smoldering trash.
But now studying his gleaming blue eyes, he seemed reborn as if he had finally begun to slay the demons that help him hostage. I sensed the twin perfect pitches had buoyed him greatly, rejuvenating his deteriorating spirit. Though a pair of unexpected strikes meant little in terms of achieving actual flawlessness. Yet, instincts breathed that indeed something inside tanner subtlety changed. And though it was a small thing, He no longer appeared so desperately disheartened. For the first time hope swelled within me. I had resisted its tender whispers. Hiding within, I cradled my heart with a veil of protection. Now Crouching over the tattered base carefully studying Tanners changed demeanor I Felt genuinely blessed. I knew not whether it was Gods answer to my silent prayers or Tanners dogged determination. Yet In that dusty weed strewn vacant lot He budded and began to bloom.



No comments: